Re: Object Graphics newbie question

Hi Arend,

"Arend Sluis" <sluis@physics.rutgers.edu> wrote in message
3B0E7558.8EA29250@physics.rutgers.edu">news:3B0E7558.8EA29250@physics.rutgers.edu...
> I want to make a 2D plot of, say, 10k data points, and each data point
> has associated with it a specific color and a set of secondary data
> points (an emission line spectrum). Since I want to be able to zoom in
> on and move around the data in order to make selection of individual
> data points easier, I thought that Object Graphics would be the way to
> go. However, it is 10k data points, so I clearly need to be careful in
> order to have efficient code.
>
> My first question is: should I be using Object Graphics

It may be overkill for the project as you've described, but the XObjView
example program is a great starting point for a 3D viewing/inspecting
application.

I'd say "certainly give it a try," with a first attempt by using the
XObjView example program. I think it's a great starting point, and here's an
example of how easy it is to use:

IDL> m=obj_new('IDLgrSurface', Dist(30), Color=[255,0,255], Style=2,
Shading=1, Name='Wide Magenta Surface')
IDL> g=obj_new('IDLgrSurface', Dist(10)*5, Color=[0,255,0], Style=2,
Shading=1, Name='Tall Green Surface')
IDL> xobjview,[m,g]

You've got viewing controls, and a select tool which presents the name of
whatever object you click on.

I don't know