Re: IDL and UNIX setenv

In article , "Daniel Peduzzi" <peduzzi@mediaone.net> writes:
> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:52:30 GMT
>

> Nigel Wade wrote in message <9gkfmi$jgv4$2@rook.le.ac.uk>...
> >
> >In article , "Daniel Peduzzi" <peduzzi@mediaone.net> writes:
> >>
> >> I tried to append the "/usr1/guest/bin/" directory to my UNIX
> >> path before starting an IDL session, but the path information
> >> doesn't seem to be propagated into IDL.
> >
> >I'm pretty sure it uses PATH to determine the location of the
> >program.
> >
> >Try checking your PATH carefully to make sure that you haven't added
> >it incorrectly. If you can run "myprog" from the command line you
> >should be able to run it from within IDL.
> >

> That's what I thought, too.  Before I started IDL, I verified that
> I could run "myprog" from any directory as a result of extending
> the path correctly.  But subsequently, I'm not able to SPAWN the
> program from within IDL without indicating its exact location.
>
> >What do you get if you run :
> >
> > IDL> spawn,'echo $PATH'
> >

> I get the UNIX pathname BEFORE I extended the path.  Not only that,
> but if I try to extend the PATH environment variable from within
> IDL, I still can't run "myprog".  Boy, am I confused!
>
> Dan

What shell are you using?

I notice that in the subject you mention setenv which implies you
are using csh/tcsh. AFIAK spawn will use sh so there may be some
difference between the path you set in csh/tcsh and the path used
by sh.

Are you actually setting and exporting PATH?

E-mail :    nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555