Re: template for READ_ASCII

Bob Fugate wrote:

> My question is, can I save the template somehow so I don't have to
> regenerate it with ASCII_TEMPLATE each time I restart IDL and  want to read
> new tables? I realize I only have to run ASCII_TEMPLATE once each session
> but I would like to make this completely automatic and so I don't have to
> manually go through the GUI each day. It is not a really big deal but I am
> getting greedy.

There is the SAVE method already mentioned in this thread, but another
possibility would be the creation of the template in your program like I
just did in one of mine:

template = { $
	version : 1.0, $
	datastart : 9, $
	delimiter : 32B, $
	missingvalue : !values.f_nan, $
	commentsymbol : '', $
	fieldcount : 8L, $
	fieldtypes : [ 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 ], $
	fieldnames : [ 'time', 'xyz', 'field3', 'field4', $
			'field5', 'field6', 'field7', 'winkel' ], $
	fieldlocations : [ 0, 3, 8, 14, 22, 27, 33, 40 ], $
	fieldgroups : [ 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 7 ] }

Just do a HELP, mytemplate, /STRUCT, and you will see what kind of
struct the template is. There is nothing wrong with using SAVE and
RESTORE, but sometimes I like to avoid extra files and prefer a single
one.

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     Wonko@planet-interkom.de