using USERSYM

I am using USERSYM to create a hexagonal symbol. However, I want to size
it very precisely, so that the symbols do not overlap, but still are as
big as possible. I know the minimum separation between two data points
in my data set, and I thought I could figure it out using !D.X_CH_SIZE,
but no such luck. My symbols are actually too small. Has anyone ever
tried to figure out what exactly the coordinates are that are used in
USERSYM? The "units approximately the size of a character" is not very
helpful. Thanks,

Arend.

    Department of Physics and Astronomy
          136 Frelinghuysen Road