Re: OPLOT fails intermittently, any ideas? attached png

Lawrence Bleau wrote:

> In article <3B558E4C.15326C2C@fz-juelich.de>, Reimar Bauer <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> writes:
> >If you are able to make sav files of the data when it happens,
> >some of us in this news group probably could see if it will be a problem
> >in idl5.4 /idl5.4.1 too.
> >
> >We need for this test a small programm script and the sav data.
>
> Done.  Go to umtof.umd.edu, anonymous ftp, and get the files bug.pro and
> oplot_saveall.sav .  Do a .run bug.pro, it'll do the restore and the plot/oplot
> pair.
>
> I'm using Z-buffer, btw.
>
> >And you should give this to technical support at rsinc too.
>
> I already did.  Actually, I just received a reply from them this morning, not
> good.  Here's what Doug Loucks, Technical Support Engineer for RSI, said:
>
> >Thank you for helping out with a test case.
> >
> >We verified that this is a bug and it appears in IDL 5.5 as well, so it
> >isn't restricted to the VMS platform.
> >
> >Unfortunately, we don't know of a way to work around the problem at this
> >time. You might try removing the PSYM; we found that the problem did not
> >occur if PSYM is not used. If you can find another approach that doesn't use
> >the Z Buffer, that might help.
> >
> >This bug may be very difficult to track down, since it seems to be related
> >to combinations of OPLOT, PSYM, and the Z Buffer.
> >
> >Apologies for any inconveniences ths may have caused. The information and
> >test case you have provided are valuable and we appreciate your efforts in
> >putting them together.
>
> My thanks to Doug for confirming this is a problem elsewhere.  Now to fix
> it....  If any of you comes up with a combo that works around the bug, please
> inform this group and I'll test it on my system.  I use the Z-buffer to have
> IDL prepare - in a noninteractive session - a plot to be written to a disk file
> in GIF format.

Dear Lawrence,

my version information.

* Structure !VERSION, 7 tags, length=44:
   ARCH            STRING    'x86'
   OS              STRING    'linux'
   OS_FAMILY       STRING    'unix'
   RELEASE         STRING    '5.4.1'
   BUILD_DATE      STRING    'Jan 16 2001'
   MEMORY_BITS     INT             32
   FILE_OFFSET_BITS
                   INT       =       32

As Craig too I don't have this failure you got.
The image is attached as png file.

regards

Reimar

P.S. it's better to use [] for arrays and () for functions

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

read something about linux / windows
http://www.suse.de/de/news/hotnews/MS.html