New slackware 8.0 libraries, old executables?

I am using a program (pv-wave 6.21) which works fine under
Slackware 7.1, but when I try to execute it under Slackware 8.0,
it gives me the ubiquitous error "command not found".

I used the "strings" command to examine the executable and it
appears that it is linked to some old libraries.  Slackware
7.1 contains the following links which do not exist under
Slackware 8.0:

ld-linux.so.1 -> ld-linux.so.1.9.9
libdl.so.1 -> libdl.so.1.9.9
libc.so.5 -> libc.so.5.4.46
libm.so.5 -> libm.so.5.0.9

My question is, is it possible to have the old libraries coexist
with the new libraries and how do you go about doing it without
creating too much havoc?

thanks in advance,

Mike
m_schrick@hotmail.com