Re: How to organize client-server IDL application?

JD Smith <jdsmith@astro.cornell.edu> writes:

> Altyntsev Dmitriy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to build classic client-server IDL application. I have some
> > program on the client side, it sent some data to server part, server
> > processes this data and returnes the result to client. Both of the
> > sides are written in IDL. But I can't find a proper way of doing that.
> > So, what I have found. Where am I wrong?
> > ActiveX - for one machine and not for IDL client program
> > ION - for Internet, for browser
> > Socket - only for client side
> > RPC - call IDL server from C (how to do this from IDL?)
> > Now, I'm get out of this problem by managing buffer files on local
> > network and ftp, but I think it's not quite right.
> >

> I'd consider using the IDL internal SOCKET procedure on the client side,
> and building a TCP/IP socket server on the server side, written in C and
> connected to IDL as a DLM.  It's not as hard as it sounds.  If it's a
> local client-server interaction, a pair of named pipes (FIFO's) would
> do.

Or write a DLM on the client side that uses RPC calls to communicate with
the server.

Stein Vidar Hagfors Haugan
ESA SOHO SOC/European Space Agency Science Operations Coordinator for SOHO

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,      Email: shaugan@esa.nascom.nasa.gov
Mail Code 682.3, Bld. 26,  Room G-1,   Tel.:  1-301-286-9028/240-354-6066
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA.	       Fax:   1-301-286-0264