Re: Question about using database like access or dbase?

Hi,

"Randall Skelton" <rhskelto@atm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Assuming you had an ODBC compliant database, you could then use
> the $$IDL DataMiner$$ and use it to access your data directly from IDL.
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/idl/idl_dataminer.cfm
>
> With all that being said, I don't think that either Excel or Access are
> capable of running as an ODBC server.

Randall wrote a lot of good advice, but I'll just correct this point. It's
been a while since I actually used it, but certainly Excel and Access *are*
able to act as an ODBC servers. They work quite well with DataMiner, if this
is the way you want to go. You just set up the ODBC Data Sources to point to
the .xls or .mdb file, and DataMiner works as advertised.

I found Chapter 2 in the datamine.pdf to be a very helpful tutorial.

-Dick

Dick Jackson                   /            dick@d-jackson.com
D-Jackson Software Consulting /       http://www.d-jackson.com
Calgary, Alberta, Canada     / +1-403-242-7398 / Fax: 241-7392