Re: matching fields in ascii or text files.

"Pavel A. Romashkin" <pavel.romashkin@noaa.gov> wrote in message news:<3B6AD991.5669DE2B@noaa.gov>...
> Are you attempting this in IDL? Or is it a general data handling
> question? It seems to me that TXT file and ASCII is the same kind of
> file. To compare the columns by scrolling them in a window, Excel will do.
> Cheers,
> Pavel

Greetings Pavel-

I'm writing an idl gui script to cycle through fairly long files of
data that are collected from a ctd and compare them with chlorophyll
measurements from insitu sampling. I want to select the data from a
specific depth for chlorophyll  and and write all values for that
depth in another file. Just putting the data into excel files would be
very cumbersome because the data are collected over a month long
cruise and there are alot of measurements. Ultimately I'll use the
script whenever I need to compare fields from cruise data. Can you
suggest a way to construct such a matching routine in idl?

Cheers,

Patrick