[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: RedHat-6.0 with Glibc2.1 breaks IDL-5.2
- Subject: Re: RedHat-6.0 with Glibc2.1 breaks IDL-5.2
- From: "J.D. Smith" <jdsmith(at)astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>
- Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:04:39 +0000
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave,linux.redhat.install
- Organization: Cornell University
- References: <37297C11.9E83396F@sangdu.kjist.ac.kr> <3729FBB1.A35CE71A@io.harvard.edu>
- Sender: jts11(at)cornell.edu (Verified)
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:14644 linux.redhat.install:24755
Martin Schultz wrote:
> NewsMan wrote:
> > The new RedHat-6.0 Linux with glibc-2.1 breaks IDL-5.2. I got the
> > following error when I invoke IDL.
> > [...]
> just a quick status "report" on this. I have just installed IDL on
> RedHat 5.2 and since there are some problems with colortables and fvwm2
> (see earlier article in thsi newsgroup -- btw: lesstif works) I had
> asked RSInc about the patch mentioned earlier. They repied it's a pretty
> old piece of code and not certain that it woiuld still apply.
> FUrthermore I learned, that the RedHat version currently supported by
> RSInc is 5.1 (not 5.2). I dropped a hint that 6.0 is available soon ...
> may take a while before they get into it though.
You can easily install an old glibc (RH 5.2 has 2.0.7), and set up your
LD_PRELOAD environment variable just before running idl (perhaps in a
shell which runs only idl and is used for no other purpose). This way
you can continue using RH 6.0 using glibc-2.1, but IDL will work (and
find this library function it needs to work). Such a script might look
J.D. Smith |*| WORK: (607) 255-5842
Cornell University Dept. of Astronomy |*| (607) 255-6263
304 Space Sciences Bldg. |*| FAX: (607) 255-5875
Ithaca, NY 14853 |*|