Re: Breakdown of IDL 5.3 license manager after Update Inux

Martin Schultz wrote:

> "R.Bauer" wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > But now the license manager says that the HostID of my computer has
> > > changed to:

> > [...]
> >
> > Hi Harald,
> >
> > The problem is that's the hostID is the hex number of the IP-Address
> > (that's the definition).
> > And lmhostid is the ethernet hardware address.
> >
> > I myselft don't understand why RSI defines the linux key to the hostid.
> >
> > If you have bought a linux notebook and bought a linux IDL Licence
> > connected to the ethernet card
> > you are only able to use this licence in the home network.
> > And if you are far away from home you will have expensive calls to get a
> > 30-day licence.
> >
> > I don't know Suse6.0. But may be this version returns by hostid the hex
> > local_host.
> > Suse 6.3 returns the hex ipaddress
> >
> > hope this helps
> >
> > R.Bauer
>
> As JD points out correctly, the key is linked to the hardware address.
> Just the other day I installed IDL 5.3 successfully on the PC that I
> brought back from the US which is equipped with an ethernet card but not
> connected to a local network. I only had to activate the hardware driver
> for the card (i.e. load the module), but I did not have to configure the
> device at all (I do have some network config though, due to my ISDN
> connection).
>
> Viele Gruesse,

I don't agree because we got exactly this problem I discribed.

manpage of hostid:

The /usr/sbin/hostid command displays the identifier (either a unique
host name
or a numeric argument) of the current local host as a hexadecimal
number. This
numeric value is expected to be unique across all hosts and is commonly
set to
the address of the host specified by the InternetAddress or HostName
parameter.

I believe that's in the past they used the hardware adress but since
idl5.2 they use
only the hostid.

R.Bauer