Re: openr and /get_lun

In article <8dfqbo$ep1$2@hammer.msfc.nasa.gov>,
mallors@ips1.msfc.nasa.gov (Robert S. Mallozzi) wrote:

> In article <38FB4B75.936477C5@astro.cornell.edu>,
> 	"J.D. Smith" <jdsmith@astro.cornell.edu> writes:
> > "Robert S. Mallozzi" wrote:
> >>
> >> I sure wish we had a boolean datatype - the mistake of
> >> using something like "IF (NOT error) THEN" is one that
> >> is really a pain to find, although it certainly makes
> >> your code much more readable.
> >
> > We don't need a boolean data type... we need IF to examine not just the
> > first
> > bit of the value, but the whole thing, and use C's 0=false, anything
> > else =true
> > paradigm.  Here's hoping.
> >
> > if NOT 2 then print,"this isn't right!"
>

> This would certainly break backward compatibility - there
> has to be someone, somewhere that relies on the fact that in
> IDL, odd = true and even = false !  I feel as you do that this
> was a design mistake made a long time ago, in a programmer's
> mind far, far away...
>
> Regards,
>
> -bob

    One man's mistake is another's feature (or something like that).

    The "low bit 0 = false, low bit = 1 true" convention is from VMS
(way back in the pre-Alpha days, even.... what did they call those
things, VAXen? VAXes?), with the more significant bits yielding addition
information on the specific error or (in the case of oddness) warning,
&c.

    No doubt due to operant conditioning programming VAX system
services, I find this convention more useful than C's convention.

    Chacun a son error convention....

                  Joe Gurman

--
Joseph B. Gurman / NASA Goddard Space Flight Center / Solar Physics Branch /
Greenbelt MD 20771 / work: gurman@gsfc.nasa.gov /other: gurman@ari.net

Government employees are still not allowed to hold opinions while at work,
so any opinions expressed herein must be someone else's.