Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

Craig Markwardt wrote:

> "Liam E. Gumley" <Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:
> >
> > Well now is the time to ask for this feature in WHERE (while IDL 5.4 is
> > still in Beta). Perhaps a COMPLEMENT keyword could be added: I'm not
> > that fond of optional arguments.
> >
> > I suggest that anybody who wants this feature send email to RSI
> > (mailto:support@rsinc.com) with the subject 'Feature Request' asking for
> > this functionality to be added to WHERE.
>
> Umm, where have you *been* the last two weeks?  We've been discussing
> our favorite wish list items, which David then volunteered to forward
> to the droids at RSI.  David might be overwhelmed by now, but the
> point of the discussion was indeed to provide feedback to the IDL
> people about what users want.

For the last two weeks I've been reading about the dozens of features
people want to add to IDL from the simple (adding a complement to WHERE)
to the very complex (adding a new command-line friendly object-based
graphics system), and the resulting discussions about implementation
details. I know RSI people read this newsgroup, but I don't expect them
to put features into their flagship product based on our online
ramblings (how many posts in the last couple of weeks had 'Top 10' in
the subject line?).

Is it reasonable to expect one person (even David) to prioritize all
these requests into a Top 10 list? Where do you even start? I suggested
that you ask RSI directly because I believe if you send them a very
specific request, you have a much better chance of success. If I was
running a software company, I'd take a notice of 20 formal email
requests for a specific feature (e.g. the WHERE complement).

Cheers,
Liam.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley