minimum timer event value?

Is there a minimum value for the TIMER keyword of Widget_Control?

I can't seem to generate events faster than maybe 2-3 per second
regardless of the value I set TIMER to.  I certainly can slow it down
with values of 1,2,5 etc. but values of .3, .1, .01 all seem to create
events of the same delay (around 2-3 per second).  I thought that this
may be processor dependent but the program seems to act the same on a
300 MHz laptop and Dual 500 MHz desktop.

Is there a limit to the rate at which IDL can generate TIMER events or
do I have a problem someplace else?

-Rick Towler