Re: Scaling atoms & axes in object graphics

Mark Hadfield (m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz) writes:

> (*) Question for IDL expert programmers, why do I say that LOCATION
> represents a position perpendicular to the axis, when it has 3 components?

Isn't this the weirdest thing!? I think it took me about 10 hours
to figure it out for the first time. The documentation is
abysmal with respect to this keyword. I nearly gave up
object graphics for good over this one keyword. I was resigned
to changing values randomly to see (if I *could* see, one of
the *other* problems with object graphics) what effect it had.

> Thanks to Randall Frank for setting off this train of thought.

There is no question Randy knows object graphics. But I
have to tell you, he and I are almost always on two different
pages. He wants me to give up my Normalize function for good.
I wish I could. But when I do I don't have a clue how to
see graphics in my display window. :-(

Let's just say having a computer graphics class in my
background wouldn't have hurt.

I'm really afraid to write too much of anything about
object graphics because I know I do things in this
diddly-shit way. But for the life of me I can't come
up with anything better that I can understand. Probably
says more about me than about object graphics, but
there you go. :-(