HDF SDS data attributes

My team has been using HDF files to store data from a multi-spectral
imaging sensor. The images are typically stored as band sequential
arrays in SDS data sets. Ideally we would like to attach various
information to the SDS data sets such as band names, x, y coordinate
mappings, band wavelengths, etc. Some of thsi information can be
readilly implemented using IDL's HDF interface  but the dimension
specific information such as band name and band wavelength doe not seem
to be easilly implemented in IDL. The C and Fortran interfaces to HDF
appear to let you define attributes associated with specific dimensions
of an SDS, but not the IDL interface. Does anyone know of a workaround?