Re: Finding Memory Leak ?

Richard Tyc (Richard_Tyc@sbrc.umanitoba.ca) writes:

> I am starting to lose hair over this one.  I  recently noticed that when I
> close my program, two pointer variables remain which I am reluctant to
> remove using   PTR_FREE, PTR_VALID()
>
> I have checked every line of code where I create a new variable using
> PTR_NEW and I always properly used PTR_Free on it.  I also use the DICOM
> method GetValue alot (which returns a pointer to the data) but always use
> /NO_COPY so the pointers point to actual data within the object which should
> get properly removed when the object is destroyed.
>
> Anyone care to give any advice how I can find the source of the bug ?  I
> have been trying to print out all the valid pointers (ie. print,
> PTR_VALID() ) between Function/Procedure calls to determine when the 2
> pointers come alive but this is very tedious (and so far unsuccessful) !!

I would suspect the Dicom object first. But this could
be (since I know you are writing a log of object code)
that ghost pointer Pavel was going on about last week.
He was telling me to today that RSI confirmed that as
a bug that should be corrected in IDL 5.4, due out
very soon now.

Good luck tracking this down.