[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: How to do efficient overlay with IDL ?
- Subject: Re: How to do efficient overlay with IDL ?
- From: Aaron Birenboim <aaron(at)inago.swcp.com>
- Date: 16 Oct 2000 23:12:14 GMT
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: PearTree Consulting Services
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-Agent: tin/pre-1.4-19990413 ("Endemoniada") (UNIX) (SunOS/5.6 (sun4u))
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:21738
Craig Markwardt <email@example.com> wrote:
:> Is somebody knows :
:> 1) Why IDL is dramaticaly slower in full colors (3 to 4 time more than in
:> 256 colors !) ?
Three times the data to process.
This gets really nasty when you are sending the display
over a network (like X to a remote IDL server)
: Wy is true color 3-4 times slower than 8-bit color? My guess is that
: it's transferring 3-4 times as much data (24 or 32 bits versus 8 bit).
Thats what I see on UNIX/X displays.