HDF data types on UNIX and windows

Hi,

I have this HDF file with vgroups and vdata.  I can open and view the
contents via scispy (although it crashes a lot!), but not via IDL.  I first
used my own program (didn't work) and afterwards the HDF_BROWSER.  They both
complain about 'Unsupported or unknown HDF data type (16389)'.  I'm using
IDL5.3 on HP-UX 10.20 .
Also the java hdf-viewer from ncsa does not work.
Has anyone encountered this kind of problem ?  Any tips ?  Scispy says the
datatype is 'Little Endian 32-bit floating point type'.

Thanks,

Henk