Square Brackets vs. Parentheses

I realize this may already have been covered, and I know they warned us
about this some time back. However, with one thing and another, and
skipping IDL 5.3 (because they never got around to sending it to us), we
are only now being hit with:

Square brackets are only for arrays. Parentheses are only for functions.

Needless to say, I have a user who has been playing loose with this
stuff for years. He now has hundreds of routines that use parentheses
for arrays AND functions, and are therefore broken under IDL 5.4. Does
anybody out there have a fix for this problem? Possibly a nice little
parser/translator that can figure out what's meant and stick in the
appropriate symbol :-) After all, IDL was doing it for years.

Thanks and aloha.

--
Eric J. Pilger
Systems Administrator