[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Square Brackets vs. Parentheses
- Subject: Re: Square Brackets vs. Parentheses
- From: davidf(at)dfanning.com (David Fanning)
- Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:30:37 -0700
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Fanning Software Consulting
- References: <3A1EA3B6.A337AB1E@higp.hawaii.edu>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:22332
Eric Pilger (email@example.com) writes:
> Square brackets are only for arrays. Parentheses are only for functions.
> Needless to say, I have a user who has been playing loose with this
> stuff for years. He now has hundreds of routines that use parentheses
> for arrays AND functions, and are therefore broken under IDL 5.4. Does
> anybody out there have a fix for this problem? Possibly a nice little
> parser/translator that can figure out what's meant and stick in the
> appropriate symbol :-) After all, IDL was doing it for years.
Square bracket notation is "suggested", even "preferred",
but not "required" at all. Why do you think so?
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting
Phone: 970-221-0438 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
Toll-Free IDL Book Orders: 1-888-461-0155