underscore bug?

I know this sounds weird, but I am wondering is there
a known bug---or feature---regarding the underscore
character (_) in IDL 5.3 (linux)?

I was making some SURFACES and all of a sudden the fonts
were all $%^&ed up and I could not fix it for about an hour
of messing around.  I backtracked to an old version that
worked and found that it lacked the underscore character in
things like dataset and output filenames.  I was desperate, so
I tried renaming all the things I had with the underscore
and the problem went away.

It was such a time sink, I don't even feel like pinpointing it.
BUT... is this a known "issue"?

- Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.