Re: An IDL STRTOK??? Was: TextoIDL Broken and Gone?

davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) writes:
> Nick Bower (bowern@ses.curtin.edu.au) writes:
>
> > This really sucks and it's most unfortunate that such a well-known
> > package like this has been inadvertently clobbered without a hint of
> > documentation.
>
> I don't know about documentation, but I do recall now
> a huge row about it here when IDL 5.3 first came out.
> And I seem to remember RSI making some concessions
> about how they name things. And I also, vaguely,
> recall that this whole textoidl thing got sorted
> out. Perhaps in the updated version you are looking
> for. :-)

Yes, STRTOK was one of the things I mentioned in my rant a few days
ago.  As I understand, STRTOK, was and is an undocumented built-in
function.  And obviously, is incompatible with the version in
TextoIDL.

I have done a little research.  It does indeed seem that Mr. Craig's
host of TextoIDL, coma.berkeley.edu has gone off-line.  I cannot find
him in the on-line UC Berkeley directory, and the Berekely whois
server does not respond.  His web page is still up
(http://astron.berkeley.edu/~mcraig/).  Apparently he's a real
kayaker.

I would be glad to host TextoIDL on my web page.  It can be
distributed without modifications no problem.  However the terms of
redistribution forbid changes, so we couldn't fix the STRTOK problem.

Is there anybody here from the UC Berkeley Astronomy department who
knows what happened to Mr. Craig?  I have sent a note to his former
email address.  We will see what happens.

Craig