Re: IDLWAVE 4.8

Martin Schultz wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > If you want to launch emacs normally, but immediately start with the
> > IDLWAVE shell, do this
> >
> > xemacs -f idlwave-shell &
> >

> Wow!! This is exactly what I was looking for...  except that xemacs
> starts and tells me "Cannot load idlwave-shell" ;-( There must be some
> path settings somewhere that I am missing. It always works fine when I
> launch it from the menu.

For this purpose I use the wordy command:

emacs --geometry 80x32 --eval "(setq idlwave-shell-use-dedicated-frame
nil)" -f idlwave-shell -f delete-other-windows --eval "(add-hook
'idlwave-shell-sentinel-hook 'save-buffers-kill-emacs t)"

as an alias (a bit hard to remember all that!).  I'm not an xemacs user,
so I don't know how it would cross over (but I suspect it should work).
If I want to do it over a slow network connection, I'd add a "-nw" in
there, in place of the "--geometry 80x32" part.  Everything works as
you'd hope.

This starts the idlwave-shell in a nice sized window, killing all other
windows (like *scratch*), and sets it up so that when I quit IDL (using
C-d, perhaps), emacs itself quits.  This is my "fire up IDL for a quick
calc" mode, but complete with all the IDLWAVE goodies... completion,
help and routine info lookup, etc.  I used to use an xterm for this, but
have not looked back since Carsten helped me formulate this incantation.

JD