Re: Huge HDF files

"Sean Raffuse" <sean@me.wustl.edu> writes:

> Is there a limit to the size of file you can bring into IDL?
>
> I am interested in some new satellite data that comes in at 270mb per HDF
> file.  I got an error when I tried to open it using ENVI, so I was wondering
> if it was just too big for IDL to handle.  Somehow, I doubt it.
>
> The related question:  Is there a similarly helpful newgroup for ENVI?

It is possible to handle data larger than 270 MB.  I don't know about
windows, but under Unix, you often have to deal with process memory
limits.  If you have Unix, check out the "limit" or "ulimit" command,
and use it to set your datasize to a large number, or "unlimited",
before running IDL.

Craig