Re: Color Problems in IDL for Linux (Gnome)

Sean Davis wrote:

> Craig Markwardt wrote:
>
> > Sean Davis <sdavis@nis.lanl.gov> writes:
> > [reformatted for the bleary-eyed]
> > > Well, I know we have all struggled with colors in IDL at one point
> > > or another, but I am currently having a problem which is beyond the
> > > usual frustrations people have with colors in IDL.
> > >
> > > Essentially, when I make a plot, the colors are in black and white
> > > until i click on the upper-bar of the window that i'm interested
> > > in seeing. Then, if there are any colors, the will be shown only as
> > > long as my mouse is over the window of interest!!!
> > >
> > > This seems like a flaw in Gnome, because I can re-login using the
> > > FVWM window manager and everything works fine.
> >
> > The answer may be that (a) you have an 8-bit display; and (b) Gnome
> > uses up all of the colors in your color table, while FVWM does not.
> > If your graphics card is capable, you may be able to investigate
> > moving up to 24-bit, but you will need someone experienced in
> > configuring your X-server.  Don't choose 16-bit or you'll be sorry.
> >

> Well, I do have 24-bit color so that rules that out. Maybe Gnome uses up all
> of the colors, which still doesn't make
> sense because the colors can be seen by me clicking on the window of
> interest.

Dear Sean,

how much colors do you really have by idl.
Please show us !d.n_colors.

If you have only 256 colors then I belive you have some problems
by your idl_startup.

regards
Reimar

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

read something about linux / windows
http://www.suse.de/de/news/hotnews/MS.html