IDL virtual reality (was 3D Object IDL )

Hi There,
Thanks for your input.  Actually I am well aquainted with the "flicker
glasses" technique.  I have done a fair amount of  3d animation and
used both the "flicker glasses", and twin polarised projectors, as the
virtual reality technique.  However, up till now my method has been to
render 2 separate animations in IDL (one for left, one for right) and
then recombine these in special 3D video software to create the final
virtual reality scene.  This works fine - but is completely "offline".
 So, my question here is how to do this in fully interactive mode.  I
am not thinking here about the actual 3D technique ("flicker glasses
etc.") as much as how to achieve this within IDL.  My question really
is:  What is the most efficient way to write 2 separate scenes (L and
R) at the same time.  I.E., are there any techniques in IDL that make
this a "no brainer" - has anyone done this before ?  I am really
looking for technical IDL input.  Do you write the data to the
Z-buffer and alternate between the 2 scenes in real time (as fast as
the render engine will do it) etc. etc. ?

Any help much appreciated.
Cheers ,

George Millward