Re: Number of colors of widget appliation

Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl> writes:

> IDL> window, colors=200
> IDL> launch_my_appl.
>
> What happens is this:  The "window" call indeed allocates a large
> number of colors.  The widget application seems to use many colors as
> well, but it dissplays them with the shares color map - totally
> wrong.  THis is independant of where my cursor is - on the widget or
> somewhere else.
>
> Now, when I move the cursor to the window I opened with "window, colors=200",
> the draw window in the widget shows the correct colors, but the rest
> of the widget is wrong.

Yes, yes, yes!  I described this problem a few weeks ago.  My
conclusion is that draw widgets do not update their color tables like
normal draw windows.  This is true for me on Solaris and Linux
platforms, IDL 4 through 5.2.1, 8 bit color.  While color flashing is
annoying, at least it flashes to the *right* colors on a normal draw
window.  Not so for draw widgets.

I haven't found a solution to this, but I desperately want one.  The
most tricky thing I've tried is reseting the color table in a
"tracking" event handler for the draw widget.  The handler was
invoked, but the color tables were not switched.

I think that IDL believes that it has the proper color table loaded,
but forgets to actually load it into the X window manager.

Craig