Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

Mark Hadfield wrote:

> "Paul van Delst" <pvandelst@ncep.noaa.gov> wrote in message
> 398825D1.B3B3F605@ncep.noaa.gov">news:398825D1.B3B3F605@ncep.noaa.gov...
>
> > It won't make me stop using IDL, but I find it hard to counter his
> > argument when he can do in Python pretty much everything I can in IDL.
>
> Can he really? Even graphics? Perhaps I'd better take another look at
> Python!

I received another email from him just today (well, overnight - he's
pounding away back in Oz). He apparently has nothing useful to do so he
decided to replicate (basic) IDL-like functionality in Python. He's also
communicating with various other Pythoners to incorporate numerical
libraries. He sent me a screen capture and a PS output example of some
trig function plots - looks pretty neat. *AND* he has window buttons for
output. Only took him 5 days. Pretty flash I reckon. I asked him about
images and contour/surface plots etc. I'm interestingly awaiting his
reply.

paulv
--
Paul van Delst           Ph:  (301) 763-8000 x7274
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Fax: (301) 763-8545