Re: It costs how much?!!?!

Bill's message seems points to a growing trend which RSI had best be
concerned about-- IDL is not the only programming tool available these
days:  Wavemetrics IGOR, Mathworks MATLAB, and a few others are all
gaining ground and cost a fraction of what RSI charges for IDL!

If I didn't have access to a department site license for IDL I'd never
have begun using it.  As a grad student myself I am all for RSI reducing
the cost of single licenses to students!  I own a laptop which I take with
me on 'vacations' and field experiments and it is frustrating not to be
able to 'show off' my IDL plots at conferences or simply display my
results on the road.  Forget about the 'crippled version' though, I
develop both in C and IDL and it is essential that I can use both of these
tools together on my desktop computer and my laptop.

I know people have been promoting the use of Matlab around my department
as well.  By coincidence, I contacted the Mathworks sales department about
a single license for my laptop... Simply put: I need to be able to plot
results in the field and the cost of IDL is prohibitive.  I contacted RSI
also and I've been told there will be an announcement early in the new
year regarding OS support and pricing.  I'll give them until the
end of February.

One last thought:

Does anyone use GKS anymore? (GKS = 'Graphic Kernel Systems' which was
widely used at NASA and other atmospheric research labs for visualization
about 5-10 years ago). They had an equally nasty software license which
cost about the same as IDL and was node-locked, single-machine,
os-dependent, etc.  Could this be the fate of IDL?

I wonder if there are any people from RSI-Kodak who are reading this
newsgroup?

Randall