Re: how to label minor tick marks on a log axis???

David Fanning wrote:

> Paul van Delst (paul.vandelst@noaa.gov) writes:
>
> > Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately my joy was short-lived when I
> > couldn't figure out how to shift the y-axis title over enough not to overwrite my new
> > fancy tick labels. Sigh. (Or, how come there's no X|Y|ZTITLE_OFFSET keyword to PLOT to
> > account for X|Y|ZTICKFORMAT='(a1)'?) Do you (or Martin?) have something in your
> > bag-o-tricks to do this? I looked at Martin's and your IDL webpage but didn't see
> > anything. The thought of having to futz about with CONVERT_COORD and XYOUTS to allow
> > simple shifting of an axis title makes me want to ....1.2.3.4.5....10 I better go and get
> > some coffee.
>
> Uh, normally we position the plot in the window with
> the POSITION keyword. :-)

Yeah, well, I put use of the POSITION keyword in the same bucket as the rest of the above.
The last thing I want to do is to have to position multiple plots on the page separately
simply to make the y-axis label readable.

> > I think the curmudgeon factor that Craig Markwardt has mentioned in the past is starting
> > to affect me.... :o(
>
> Probably. :-)

Definitely.

> You might be happy to know that Martin and I will soon be
> releasing some software (for free!) that might make all of
> this easier. We have a PlotConfig program that is similar
> to PSConfig. It allows the user to configure plot options
> without having to muck around with keywords.

I don't mind keywords - in fact I prefer them to GUI's. The less my fingers have to move
from the keyboard, the better my right elbow likes it. It's when there isn't a keyword to
do something simple that the mucking about comes into play.

thanx again.

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           A little learning is a dangerous thing;
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;