Re: Expanding IDL's list of approved image formats

Hello,

You might incorporate the built in DIALOG_PICKFILE function into your own reader.
Something like the following might do it.

;-----------
FUNCTION READ_ThisData, File, Group = Group, Cancel = Cancel

Cancel = 0
If N_Elements(File) EQ 0 Then Begin
        File = Dialog_PickFile(Group = Group)
            ; if user cancels then return -1 and set the cancel flag
        If File[0] EQ '' Then Begin
           Cancel = 1
           Return, -1
        EndIf
EndIf

.... Your other stuff  here to read in the data ...

Return, ThisData

END
;-----------------

The other way to work around this is don't use DIALOG_READ_IMAGE function.   Use
the DIALOG_PICKFILE function, then read in the data based upon which type of
format the user chooses.  You can use the result of QUERY_IMAGE to determine if
the image is a 'standard' image format according to IDL's definitions.

Good luck,

Ben

--
Ben Tupper