Re: It costs how much?!!?!

"Pavel A. Romashkin" <pavel.romashkin@noaa.gov> writes:

> Kenneth Mankoff wrote:
>
> > And if it were open source, us linux-using students who like to hack
> > things apart and put them together in our spare time would turn out some
> > mean routines to improve the product.  This theoretical free open-source
> > student IDL (wow, aren't i in a daydream) would probably have openGL, GUI
> > builders, ports to Palm Vx OS, entire libraries of extensions, etc., all
> > within a few months..
>
> The only downside I am envisioning in this daydream is that then nobody
> will be compatible with each other. I use Build 20.6.1a-1, David is on
> 21.3.4b, and Craig is on the legacy RSI one. More of a nightmare than
> daydream :-(

I wonder if you think the current RSI IDL version progression is any
less of a nightmare?  From a support standpoint it pretty much blows.
I think every procedure in the IDL manual should have a
version-compatibility matrix.

Believe me, I'd be using Build 23.1 if it was open-source.  I would
*prefer* IDL to be open source.

Craig